Upcoming IBU General Membership Meeting

Hello Members,

Just a reminder that we will be having a general membership meeting on Oct. 23, 2018 at 2:00 pm. There will be meetings held in both Juneau and Ketchikan.

The Juneau IBU office address is:

211 4th St. Suite 108
Juneau, AK 99801
*It is located across from the Rainbow Foods Store downtown in the gray building.

The Ketchikan IBU office is located at:

317 Stedman St.
Ketchikan, AK 99901
*It is located upstairs in the I.B.E.W. building that is next to the salvation army store. Look for the logo on the blue metal door.

Don’t hesitate to call or email if you have any questions.

Juneau 907-790-9644                                       Ketchikan 907-224-6360
trina@nullibu.org                                                    ibuketchikan@nullibu.org

Internal Resources Memo

Hi Members,

If you aren’t already aware, AMHS has an internal resources website that uses your login credentials to enter the website. Your username will be your first  initial middle initial and last name and your password will be the one you use to login to check your SOA email account and paystubs. The website has a lot of information available for our members regarding memos, training, and policy and procedures.

click here to view Internal Resources Memo

Steward Rep for Negotiation Committee

Hi Members,

This is a call out to our general members to contact the union office in Juneau or Ketchikan if you are interested in becoming a steward representative in the negotiation committee.

Contact us if you are interested at:

Ketchikan – 907-225-6360 or email ibuketchikan@nullibu.org

Juneau – 907-790-9644 or email trina@nullibu.org

Negotiations Update October 2018

Negotiation Update for September 2018


Attention all IBU Members,

Our team met September 18 and 19th with the State in Juneau

There were 10 rules left to discuss. On the State’s side there was a new spokesperson Nancy Such, Deputy Director of Department of Administration and Shirley Marquart Executive director of Alaska Marine Highway System.

The Atmosphere had a definite change and discussions with the state were very positive and amazingly honest.  Nancy Sutch has had past experience with our contract and was able to get up to speed quickly on our proposals and issues. We had a progressive conversation about the previous talks that have been going on for almost two years.  We then went over in detail each remaining rule along with a Tazlina proposed Supplemental (LOA).  We brought up that the IBU has lost over 70 + job positions due to the Taku, Chenega and the possible loss of the Fairweather. We expressed that we hope these new ships will give our members a fairer playing field with  greater job opportunities.

As stated in previous updates we are still going after an end to COLD for a goal of getting an equal pay scale for both out-of-state and in-state wages as issues have come up with both the Union and the State having to validate employee’s residencies. We seek a raise (internal adjustment) for those left out of the last contract and an overall percentage raise in pay to all members.  We are standing strong on our position of not having to pay for healthcare.

When we spoke to the new executive director for the ferry system about the public/private corporate model, she seemed to understand and was concerned with the current state of Ship to Shore relationships and the need to address it.

Overall the State understood our positions and seemed to want to move quickly on the outstanding rules.  We meet again October 15th – 17th hoping for a resolution and a complete TA.

Our next general membership meeting will be October 23rd  at 1400 in Ketchikan and Juneau at our offices to discuss in depth our Future TA.


In Solidarity,

Your Union,

We work for you

A chance to show off all those awesome photos you post online.

Hello IBU Membership –

We are in the process of revamping the membership website, and would love to see your vision of the Inlandboatmen’s Union reflected in the design. We are putting a call out for your best images that reflect your time on the water and being involved in the union. Please email all images to Inlandboatmensunionphotos@nullgmail.com. All photos emailed to that account will be assumed legal for public use.

Thanks in advance for your participation! We look forward to serving you better with a more effective website.

Marina V. Secchitano

Default lodging per diem vs. hotel actuals

Hi members please take note that if you are not turning in “hotel actuals” (turning in a receipt every week, you will be paid your lodging per diem every two weeks instead of every week. You can always talk to the hotel you are staying at and let them know that you need to get a weekly receipt.

Attention – New Memos

Hi Members,

Please see the Forms and Salary Schedules page to view new memos for Bid and pay period schedules  2019 under “Timelines”

or click here to view page.